Safe Church Events
This training is designed to increase awareness regarding sexual misconduct and abuse of power, to outline steps toward preventing abuse, to offer ways to intervene when misconduct occurs and to equip anyone in a position of parish leadership with ways of healing and rebuilding the body of Christ.
The training is required of all clergy, diocesan employees and congregational employees. It is also highly recommended for wardens, vestry members, lay eucharistic visitors, pastoral visitors, youth leaders, Confirmation sponsors, acolyte leaders, choir directors, church school teachers and volunteers working in a congregation on a regular basis.
The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts offers two types of Safe Church Training: in-person group training and online training. While much of the same essential material is covered by each, please review the details below to choose which one best fits your needs.
In-person group training:
See calendar box at upper right for schedule and registration links. Training opportunities offered by other New England dioceses may also be available. To inquire, contact the Rev. Karen Montagno, Director of Congregational Resources and Training, at kmontagno [at] diomass [dot] org or 617-482-4826, ext. 413.
• Strongly recommended due to its broad scope and the group experience of sharing stories, ideas, methods and policies
• Offered at different churches throughout the diocese several times a year
• Runs on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (must attend entire session to receive certification)
• Costs $40 ($20 for the host congregation's participants) and includes lunch. Scholarships are available; no one will be turned away due to cost.
• Spanish-language training is available.
• Participants receive a binder of materials and resources.
• Has four required modules of video, text and interactive questions that take 30-45 minutes each
• Additional modules are available for specific needs (camp, church employees, mandated reporters, etc.)
• No cost (offered through the diocese's partnership with Church Pension Group)
• Requires a designated administrator at each congregation to create unique user names and passwords for each individual taking the training. Once the user has been registered by the administrator, the training is always accessible from any computer with a high-speed Internet connection.
• Can be done as an individual or in groups (especially if each person in the group has a laptop and Internet connection)
• Is most effective when individuals meet after completing the modules to discuss reactions and ideas
• Core modules are available dubbed in Spanish.
• Does not fulfill training requirement for clergy (though clergy may find the information useful)
The online training, Safegurading Online, is available here: http://www.safeguardingonline.org/
Questions about accessing the online program and Safeguarding Online may be directed to the Rev. Karen Montagno, Director of Congregational Resources and Training, at kmontagno [at] diomass [dot] org or 617-482-4826, ext. 413.
Clergy Safe Church Refresher:
Reminder: Clergy are required to participate in the clergy refresher course every three years. The refresher course is offered twice a year. For information please contact the Rev. Karen Montagno, Director of Congregational Resources and Training, at kmontagno [at] diomass [dot] org or 617-482-4826, ext. 413.
October 10, 2007