The Diocesan Council is a representative governing body that meets regularly to conduct business of the diocese between Diocesan Conventions. This includes:
- Ensuring sound fiscal management and practices
- Supporting and reviewing diocesan ministries
- Other duties as requested by the bishop or the Diocesan Convention
Diocesan Council membership:
- The Rt. Rev. Alan M. Gates, Bishop
- The Rt. Rev. Gayle E. Harris, Bishop Suffragan
- Lisa Garcia, Treasurer
- Leon A. Brathwaite II, Secretary
- Elected from each deanery: one lay and one clerical member
- Six members appointed by the bishop
- Two representatives of the Diocesan Youth Council
- One representative of the Cathedral Chapter
Ex officio members:
- Ecumenical Officer (position currently vacant)
- Gerry Sullivan, Assistant Treasurer
- Lynn Smith, Registrar-Historiographer
- Laura Simons, Assistant Secretary
A summary of Diocesan Council actions is published in the monthly FYI news bulletin, posted here.
Staff Contact: Laura Simons, Administrator of Convention and Council (617-482-4826, ext. 406 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Committees of Council
Executive Committee membership is made up of the bishop and not fewer than three members of the Diocesan Council, chosen by a vote of the council at its January meeting. The Executive Committee exercises authority of the Diocesan Council between meetings, except final approval of the diocesan budget.
- Chair: Bishop Alan M. Gates
- Contact: Laura Simons – email@example.com
Assessment Coordinating Committee
The Assessment Coordinating Committee is charged with reviewing and granting petitions from congregations related to special circumstances which indicate a reason for reduction in the congregation’s assessment. The total amount allocated for reduction is set by the Diocesan Council. More information about assessments is available here.
- Chair: Connie Melahoures
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Audit Committee reviews the diocesan audit and management letter prepared by the outside auditor. The committee presents the audit to the Diocesan Council for approval.
- Chair: Jim Woodward
- Contact: email@example.com
The Budget Committee is made up of both members of Council and others. The committee works with the diocesan treasurer in developing the annual budget and in collaboration with the bishops, diocesan staff and other committees. The budget is presented to the Diocesan Council for review and recommendation to Diocesan Convention, no later than the September Council meeting.
- Contact: Lisa Garcia, Treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Compensation and Benefits Committee
The Compensation and Benefits Committee is responsible for proposing guidelines to promote uniform, fair and equitable compensation and benefits for lay and clergy employees within the diocese. The proposed Total Clergy Compensation (TCC) formula is voted by Diocesan Convention annually.
- Chair: Jeff Tyrakowski
- Contact: email@example.com
Diocesan Loan Committee
The Diocesan Loan Committee oversees the distribution of funds to congregations for capital improvements to church-owned property. The committee reviews loan applications, decides on fund distribution and monitors repayment.
- Chair: Alice Krapf
- Contact: Gerry Sullivan - firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Advisory Committee
The Financial Advisory Committee oversees the investments, income, spending policy and business affairs of the diocese. The committee reports to the Diocesan Council through the treasurer.
- Chair: The Rev. George Stevens
- Contact: email@example.com
Lift Every Voice Committee
Also known as the Diversity of Leadership Committee, the Lift Every Voice Committee works on behalf of the Diocesan Council to promote greater racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender diversity in both lay and clergy leadership.
- Chair: The Rev. Karen Montagno
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org