Boston Pilot: Mass. General Chapel marks 75 years

View original: Boston Pilot

Bishop Alan M. Gates joined religious leaders from the Boston area at the Massachusetts General Hospital chapel on May 25, for a service to celebrate the chapel's 75th anniversary. Since the Gothic Revival chapel first opened on April 25, 1941, on the first level of the hospital's Baker Memorial Building, countless men and women of different religious traditions have sought refuge there. Providing a sacred space for patients, their relatives and hospital staff was the original vision of Bishop William Lawrence of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. In 1939, Bishop Lawrence, who was then elderly and retired, sent out 1,500 handwritten letters to potential donors asking for support "in this bit of pioneer hospital work."


Click the link above to read more.