The congregation of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church-on-the-Canal in is celebrating the 70th anniversary of its building this month.
The building was originally a summer chapel, Church of Our Savior, in Hull. The Rev. J. Samuel Stephenson discovered the unused building and organized fundraising events to acquire the building for the growing congregation in Buzzards Bay. In May 1947, the building was put on a barge that sailed from Hull through the Cape Cod Canal to Buzzards Bay to become the present St. Peter’s Church-on-the-Canal.
To mark this milestone anniversary, the congregation is planning an open house and a Sept. 29 church rededication service.
Click the link above to read the full story.