Clergy Professional Development Days in 2021 will be offered online via Zoom for all diocesan clergy, in two parts (each part offered four times). All diocesan clergy are encouraged to register for a Part I session (being offered in conjunction with the Diocese of Western Massachusetts); attendance for both Part I and Part II (the Safe Church review) is required for any clergy due for a Safe Church refresher in 2021. Please register separately for Part I and Part II.
Part I: "Antagonistic People: Dealing with Bullies in the Church":
Part I will focus on the topic "Antagonistic People: Dealing with Bullies in the Church" and will feature as guest speakers Patricia Gianotti, PsyD, and Christyn Sieve, PsyD. Part I sessions are scheduled on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Feb. 9, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. This session is now filled.
- Saturday, April 10, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Register here.)
- Tuesday, June 15, 12:30-3 p.m. (Register here.)
- Friday, Sept. 10, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Register here.)
Antagonists challenge even the strongest of leaders; they call for firm and containing engagement that might feel antithetical to pastoral caregiving. Managing a bully requires courage, self control, love and teamwork. Leaders can learn to manage bullying behavior without retaliating or placating the individual whose behavior needs to be contained. Areas the session will touch on are:
- Bullying as a power issue and its various forms
- Re-centering toward a position of compassion and empathy that allows the leader to contain difficult behavior with dignity, strength and grace
- Best practices around how to confront a bully
- How to deliver or frame the message
- Discerning when to confront
Dr. Gianotti is a licensed clinical psychologist and the academic director of the Wayne Institute for Advanced Psychotherapy at Bellarmine University. She is the co-author of two books on the topic of shame and narcissistic injury and has a special interest in integrating spiritual practices into her therapeutic work with clients. Dr. Sieve is a clinical psychologist in private practice. She draws from psychological and spiritual disciplines to help clients minimize suffering that manifests as low self concept and conflict in relationships.
Part II: Safe Church Review Segment (for Diocese of Massachusetts clergy due for refresher in 2021):
- Tuesday, March 2, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Register here.)
- Saturday, April 17, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Register here.)
- Wednesday, June 23, 12:30-3 p.m. (Register here.)
- Friday, Sept. 17, 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Register here.)
Questions may be directed to Martha Gardner, Missioner for Networking and Formation, at email@example.com.