Christian Education Director for Children and Youth
St. James's Episcopal Church, Amesbury, MA seeks a Christian Education Director to direct and participate in our K-5 church school program, middle school Sunday School and youth program and related children-youth-family activities. We seek a person who possesses an enthusiasm for the Christian education and spiritual formation of children and young people. It is the aim of the St. James's church school and youth programs to nurture and develop in our young people an ever growing awareness of their relationship with God in Christ and each other through worship, scripture, fellowship and service.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Evaluate, supplement and implement current education programs:
o Godly Play curriculum (K-2nd grades)
o Weaving God's Promises (5th – 8th grades)
• Look into developing a Curriculum for 3rd-4th grades
• Create and manage a calendar of lessons and events for the program year.
• Recruit, train and support volunteer teachers and assistants
• Oversee registration and maintenance of church school records
• Oversee maintenance and purchase of supplies
• Manage budget for Christian Education Program
• Organize the annual Christmas Pageant and Holy Week events.
• Organize Acolyte Schedule and Training
• Communicate regularly with Rector, Vestry and Parish Administrator
• Communicate regularly with families about upcoming events
• Support parents and welcome new families to the parish.
• Enroll and track Safe Church Training and CORI administration
The ideal candidate will have:
• An Associate's degree or equivalent experience.
• Experience with teaching, classroom management, and/or youth programs.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and rapport with children, youth and families.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and delegate.
• Strong communication and networking skills, especially with online
• Working knowledge of computer applications: Spreadsheets, documents, e-mail, etc.
• A commitment to the Christian faith and teaching, especially with children and youth. If not an Episcopalian, the candidate will be willing to support the basics of our tradition.
• Certification in Godly Play is preferred, but may be obtained later.
• A CORI check and completion of Safe Church training will be required.
Time and salary: Year round, (with significant down time June-August). Maximum 10 hours per week, $20.00 per hour.
Please contact:Please submit resume and references to The Rev. John Satula via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail at: St. James's Episcopal Church, P. O. Box 25, Amesbury, MA 01913.
St. James's does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other quality related to an applicant's ability to succeed in the position.