The diocesan Standing Committee on June 15, 2023, issued the following invitation for applications from those interested in being considered for appointment to the Bishop Search Committee. Applications, via an online form linked below, are due by June 25, 2023. Questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Standing Committee Invitation for Applications for Bishop Search Committee
The Rt. Rev. Alan M. Gates has indicated his intention to retire at the end of 2024 and has called for the election of his successor. Under the oversight of the Standing Committee of the diocese, the Search Committee will be charged with the following responsibilities:
- gathering information from around our diocese as to the qualities we seek in our next bishop
- developing a diocesan profile for potential candidates to consider as they discern whether to place their names in nomination
- screening and interviewing potential nominees through a series of stages
- recommending final nominees for the electing convention to consider
It is anticipated that the work of the Search Committee will begin in August 2023 and continue until a final slate is named in the late spring of 2024.
Please note: Attendance at a day-long retreat to be held on Aug. 12, 2023, is a mandatory requirement for serving on the Search Committee.
In appointing members to the Search Committee, the Standing Committee will be looking for persons with a proven ability to work collaboratively with others, and who are able to demonstrate competency in one or more of the following skill sets:
- Ability to listen and elicit information from others, organizing such learnings
- Ability to write a profile that accurately describes the diocese and articulates a call for the next bishop
- Ability to develop screening tools such as written essay questions, questions for virtual (Zoom) interviews, questions and discussion topics for a discernment retreat, and instruments for evaluating information provided
- Event planning and management skills for planning a discernment retreat
- Education and communication skills
- Experience with current technology, social media, video recording skills, etc.
- Robust and well-established prayer life
- Commitment to the life of the diocese
If you are interested in being considered for appointment to the Search Committee, please fill out the online application form, available here, by June 25, 2023. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.