Grace, Norwood celebrates 125 years

The first documented Episcopal service in Norwood took place in the spring of 1888.  Over the years, Episcopal services took place in Village Hall, Odd Fellows Hall, the chapel of the old Methodist-Episcopal Church and parishioners’ homes.  Service times varied from morning, afternoon to evening–whatever time could be arranged with a supply rector and available space. 

And at least twice the mission disbanded over those early years.  But a group of loyal and dedicated individuals continued to work toward the realization of their own Episcopal house of worship in Norwood.  With support of bishops and archdeacons of the diocese as well as the neighboring rectors of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Mattapan, St. Paul’s Church in Dedham and the Church of the Epiphany in Walpole–all instrumental in helping to bring a permanent Episcopal church to Norwood–the “first” Grace Church was built on Washington Street and dedicated on February 19, 1911. 

On Saturday, April 20, Grace Church is celebrating that early history and invites others to join with the congregation for tea at 1:30 p.m. at Grace Episcopal Church, 150 Chapel Street, 
There will be a display of church memorabilia and photographs from the “old” Grace Church on Washington Street, an unveiling of the church archives and a brief tour of the church to afford a closer look at some of the beautiful memorials that grace our church and services.  A history talk will focus on the early years of Episcopal services in Norwood and of Grace Mission and continue to the time of the building of the “new” Grace on Chapel Street.

The Grace history weekend continues on Sunday, April 21 at 10 a.m. with a visit by Bishop Thomas Shaw.  To experience the service as those who worked to bring an Episcopal church to Norwood, the service on April 21 will be celebrated from the 1892 Book of Common Prayer which the original Grace Church parishioners would have used.  Hymns from that time will also be a part of the service.  All are welcome.